Wednesday 19 March 2014

2.How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?


When it came to merging all three media products together which is the music video, poster and digipak, I decided that I wanted them all to link in with each other therefore I decided to feature a black and white colour scheme throughout so that the idea of consistency was recognized. I have also decided to use the same font throughout my two ancillary texts which was ‘Copperplate’ I felt it was important to use the same fonts so that again the similarity was recognized between the two products and that overall they did look remotely similar due to the colour scheme and also the fonts used.

 

The whole idea behind the concept of my digipak came mostly through a lot of research into existing bands and how they portrayed themselves through their certain albums/digipaks and posters. Very similarly they did use different colour schemes such as black and white which showed how they have reflected their genre correctly. Therefore I felt it was essential to follow this trait to make my ancillary products look as professional as possible. Throughout my Digipak and poster I decided to use lots of photos of us as the band as I felt that as we are a newly established band it was important that our image was shown repeatedly to the audience so that they got an understanding of us as band members. The photos I used show us in locations such as London I felt that as the band are from London it was important to show their background as they are proud of their roots.

 

Also with my two ancillary products I made sure that I featured the bands website and also social media links as in this day and age the bands fans will like to follow the band through the internet on websites such as twitter. Lastly again due to research I decided to put the bands record label on both of my products as this will give the audience an understanding of what type of music we produce.

 

When linking the ancillary products to the main product the combination is quite successful in my opinion, they are rather similar mainly due to the on-going theme of black and white which I have mentioned previously. This theme has been a key trait throughout the products and has definitely proved to be more than effective in the music video. The use of the black and white gives the video quite an edgy feel and fits very well with some of the shots which we have decided to use especially during the fight scene as the colour really emphasizes the darkness of the fight scene.

 

Again the link between the ancillary products and the main piece is effective because the genre has really been established very well throughout both pieces of work for example in the music video we used lots of band performance which was very popular in existing indie/rock genre music videos. The link to genre is that on my digipak I included a photo of the band in the studio which represents the bands image and also the genre in this photo the band are shown to be on their own instruments which again shows that producing music is very important to them and they want to give the fans an idea of what it looks like. This again was similar to existing products as a lot of indie rock bands care more about the making music side of the band than promoting their image, as this is something that you would link more with pop artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment